Thursday, July 1, 2010

Here are links to a few resources that may be of interest as we prepare to discuss Harper Lee's To Kill A Mocking Bird. The first link is a collection of photographs and artwork from the 1930's that gives visual images to the world of Jim and Scout Fench.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/americanartmuseum/sets/72157614238464621/

This second link is to an article written in The New Yorker titled "Atticus Fench and Southern Libralism"
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/08/10/090810fa_fact_gladwell

I hope that these are both helpful and interesting. Hopefully by next week I will be able to do a little more reseach and post more findings. It is also hopeful that we will be able to begin discussion soon. As a segway into our discussion, I would like to propose a first question for consideration while all members of the group finish up the reading.

Be considering:

What is Harper Lee's novel about? Is it a novel about racism? or perhaps persecution? acceptance? differences? tolerance? Considering the miriad of characters and situations, what is an overarching theme that Lee communicates? This question may devolve into many different areas of conversation, but start brainstorming, and we will discuss when Katie has finished reading.

Happy contemplation!

-NicalenaRose

1 comment:

  1. I found an article about her in Southern Living. It's really interesting. I cut it out and I'm going to bring it with me when I come visit. I love all the publicity around her and the book right now. We picked a perfect time to read it!

    ReplyDelete